I know it has been a VERY long time since my last post. Since I started a full time job, I have come to the realization that I need to learn to budget my time better in order to continue to do the things I love to do. Which brings me to my New Year's resolution - a few weeks late, I know - to complete two sewing projects a month. My inspiration is The Sew Weekly. In 2011, Mena Trott and four other contributors completed sewing projects based on weekly themes. If you are a seamstress, you must follow this blog.
This dress is one of my favorites:
I decided on two projects a month because sewing a new item every week seemed a bit daunting to me - I have a full time job (and a full closet!) and friends and family that I like to see on a regular basis. So, every two weeks seemed to me to be the magic number. And, I've already made three items for the month of January!
So, since I celebrated my 32nd birthday this month, I decided to make myself a dress...a fun and vintage inspired dress.
Fabric: Quilting fabric from Hancock Fabrics, $7.00 per yard (about 2.5 yds)
Pattern: Simplicity 4447
Year: Not entirely sure, but I'm guessing late 1950s
Notions: 5 vintage buttons, invisible zipper
Time to complete: About 7 hours, including cutting
First worn: January 29, 2012
Wear again? Definitely! I've already worn it twice!
First of all, I love this print! I went fabric shopping with my mother-in-law, and she kindly purchased this for me. I kept waiting to make something because I knew I had just enough to make a dress...I just wasn't sure which one. Well, I went to Kansas City for my mother's 50th birthday party, and I snagged 26 vintage patterns from one of the local thrift shops, including the one I used for this dress.
Now, I did not make a muslin before starting with my precious 2 and 1/2 yards of fabric, but thankfully it all worked out. I added about an inch in the hips, and when I make this dress again, I will probably take in the top just a bit and lower the darts. You can't really tell, but the darts are about an inch and a half too high. Over all, I couldn't be happier with how this turned out!
Dress: Handmade by me from a vintage pattern
Shoes: MIA, thrifted for $1.50
Stockings: Vintage, thrifted for .50 cents.